With Halloween come and gone and no sign of a sewn wizard costume or jacket, I took my sweet time finding a second set of buttons and getting them sewn onto the doggy sweater.
This week has been a bit of a battle with Jacob, because I brought in my more delicate (read: dead and dying) plants from the porch, and they are currently sitting on the table at the end of the couch, well within reach of a certain water-craving nose. I feel like I’ve done nothing but yell, “Jake! No! Down!” at him for the last several days.
The kalanchoe that was nearly dead a few months ago is still hanging on, but only just barely, and there is really only one shriveled little twig that still has green leaves on it. More precisely, there was only one…
Last night I left Jacob unsupervised just long enough that I came back in to the living room to find him up on the table, with that little sprig of green leaves next to him, very much detached from its shriveled twig. After resisting the urge to lock him on the porch overnight, and planting the leaves in the soil (that dog is exceedingly lucky kalanchoes grow from cuttings), I finally got to work on those last two sweater buttons.
Tonight, I had my revenge:
The three buttons at the neck in combination with the cinch on the back appear to have created a proper straight jacket for our crazy little Jake.
Despite numerous attempts at escape, and even a trip outside, he was stuck. Like a… stuck thing.
…and none too pleased.
The only problem was, when I was finally satisfied that the thing would stay on, he refused to wiggle back out.
…probably out of spite.
Let’s face it; I generally think that forcing clothing onto pets is awful. In this case, I am looking out for his health when he travels to the frozen north for the holidays – the little idiot was shivering when it was just in the 60s a few days ago – but I do have to confess to a certain amount of delight in tormenting him as well.
After all, he tried to eat my plant.